Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
EndNote is asking for a Product Key
If you are asked for a Product Key when downloading EndNote 20, execrate both files (EN20Inst and License) from the .zip folder and place them together in your computer's downloads folder. If you continue to have issues with this, please contact Avondale Library. Do Not try to download EndNote from the internet to solve this.
Endnote is missing in Word! (Mac)
The work-around is to go to Finder-Applications-Microsoft Word. Right-click Microsoft Word, choose "Get Info" and check the box "Open Using Rosetta." This forces Microsoft Word to launch as an Intel program and restores compatibility with the Endnote Plugin
This issue extends to Endnote 20 as well. Until Clarivate updates the plug-in, this is the best temporary fix.
How do I select APA 7th as my reference style?
My citations have shifted in my document
Problematic field codes causing jumping cursor, "the range cannot be deleted" or other problems while formatting
My references look like code! Quick Fix: Press ALT+F9 (Option+F9 on Mac) on your keyboard to toggle field codes
- Every EndNote library is made up of two parts, the .enl file and the .data folder. Always keep them together.
- Keep EndNote libraries on your computer's local hard drive. Storing and editing libraries on a network drive can lead to corruption and performance issues.
- Uninstall your previous version of EndNote before installing a new version.
- If you use the Apple iCloud storage optimization feature, all files in your Documents folder, including EndNote libraries stored there, will be kept in iCloud or synced to iCloud instead of stored only on your computer, leading to library corruption. Either avoid using this feature or put your EndNote libraries somewhere on your Mac that will not be stored in iCloud. This feature was introduced in OS X 10.12 (Sierra).
- Back up your EndNote libraries frequently. The File➔Compressed Library command will let you create backups for most libraries in minutes. Adding the date to the default compressed library name will let you easily find older backups that can be deleted.
- Never put EndNote libraries in any type of syncing drive or folder, they cause corruption over time. This includes cloud-syncing folders such as OneDrive, OneDrive Business, Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, SugarSync, Box, etc., as well as local network syncing programs such as GoodSync. EndNote libraries contain multiple files, and data is saved to those files in a strict sequence. NonEndNote syncing programs can send data out of sequence, eventually leading to data corruption. Files may appear to be fine for months, but corruption is building up and will eventually cause problems. We suggest using EndNote Sync if you want your references available on more than one computer.